Part of the reason I am here in Conway for Spring Break is that I am planning to spend some time with him next week. I talked on the phone to his mom, who is one of the sweetest ladies in the world, and she was giving me a short update. To summarize, she said that Scott has told her that he is ready either to be healed so he can go tell people about Jesus or he is ready to go be with Jesus.
That is hard to hear, I suppose especially because the second seems like so much more of a reality. But, really, I was convicted that we should all have that mentality.
It's actually been something that the Lord has laid on my heart for the past few weeks. In talking about contentment in Bible study, I was reminded of a study I did last year which mentioned that part of the reason we are never content in this world is that this world was not meant to satisfy us. I keep going back to 2 Corinthians 5:1-10 and wondering why I don't feel that way. Verse eight says, "Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord." Honestly, my heart isn't there.
In the study that I had been doing on contentment last year, the author wrote:
Is there a reason why it's so hard to be content? Why is it that nothing on this earth brings us complete satisfaction? Perhaps it's a gift from God. Think about it. Would you really want this broken, sinful world to be the fulfillment of your wildest dreams? Aren't you glad to know something far better awaits us?
I think the problem is that my perspective is wrong. I am so consumed with things of this world that my focus is here as opposed to what is waiting for me. Death isn't quite a reality to me at twenty-one years old; it feels like I have a lot of time before I am thinking about after-death.
However, in Philippians, Paul had the right perspective: "For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (1:21).
And, apparently, so does Carrie Underwood:
No comments:
Post a Comment