Thursday, December 18, 2008

Teething

Don't you get irritated when you tell someone something then realize that what you said is something that you yourself should apply?

Tonight I got to babysit the wonderful Wanamaker trio as well as another little girl I hadn't babysat before. Poor J-J was teething, I guess, because he got really fussy at one point and was chewing on my thumb. I was telling him, "It's okay, I promise. It hurts now, but you need those teeth so you can eat real food. You will like steak so much better than squished peas." God seemed to be knocking at my heart.

I definitely don't always understand why I go through hard circumstances. I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it is hard to see it. My trials are not fun, but they have a purpose - to grow me and bring me through to something greater.

In the midst, though, I was also shown how I need to rely on God so much more. J-J was fine if he was chewing on my thumb or one of his toys, but when he refused to put them in his mouth he continued to cry because it was still hurting. God is the thumb for me to chew on (as weird as that sounds) and I know that He is sitting there telling me, "C'mon Samantha, take it. Don't try to endure the pain alone. Let me help." Too bad I am hard-headed, because it takes me awhile to hear and understand how much God wants to be with me in the midst of this, but once I do I feel better. The pain isn't gone, but He is going through it with me.

I still have to go through teething, and it still hurts, but I know that I will come out alive on the other side and I will see God's plan all along. It just isn't fun right now.


Psalm 3:3-4 "But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill."
Psalm 4:7 "You have filled my heart with GREATER joy..."
Matthew 6:32-33 "For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 1128-30 " 'Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soulds. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' "
James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

*Thanks Anna for the Psalm references

3 comments:

Becke' said...

I like this, Sam! I hope to see you Sunday!

Anonymous said...

You should rename that J J kid..."Chewy, Jaws, or the Rabie baby" Just some thoughts.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful post!! I linked over from Shane and Anna's blog...:)