"...I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings." -1 Corinthians 9.22-23
That phrase "I do it all for the sake of the gospel" really sticks out to me. I want that to be the heartbeat of my ministry, my motivation. It's so easy to get caught up in accomplishing goals, checking off a to-do list, or achieving numerical success that the Gospel seems to get lost. It is only by God's mercy that I am involved in what He is doing (2 Cor. 4.1), and I want to continually live in remembrance that it is only in His power that I can keep going (2 Cor. 4.7).
The ultimate goal of what we as Christians do - in the way we live, but specifically through the facet of Campus Crusade, which is where I am involved and can best relate this - should not be having intense discussions in Bible study or training disciples to perfectly use an evangelism tool. It's not trying to meet two girls each week at the weekly Cru worship meeting, to challenge people to go on Summer Project, or to convince people to come to M29 equipping classes. Those are all great things, and they are a means to achieving the ultimate goal, but they in and of themselves are not the goal itself.
My purpose is to live out and to spread the Gospel. I really liked the way that the "Gospel-Centered Life" study broke it down: continually realizing more and more how holy God is and simultaneously coming to understand how sinful I am and how much I need Him. As I realize how holy He is, I cannot help but want to serve Him and tell others about Him; it's a natural overflow. As I realize how depraved and needy I am, I see that I cannot do it on my own strength. "Success" does not look the same as it would in the world - it is not as tangible as a dollar amount or a sales rate. Often, we don't even see the results of our investments into others, and they may not manifest themselves until years down the road. But there is a certain type of success. Not by my standards or for my glory, but for God. Success would be making Him known, and letting that be the driving force for everything we claim to do in His name.
I want and pray that all of my efforts truly are "for the sake of the Gospel."
No comments:
Post a Comment