Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesdays

What a gloriously rainy day here in Northwest Arkansas. Tuesdays are generally wonderful anyway, since I don't have class, but I didn't schedule any meetings or appointments for this morning so that I could sleep in. A thunderstorm woke me up around 7:45, but I let myself lie in bed and just listen, which put me back to sleep for a little bit longer.

I am feeling a little bit strained with ministry right now, although I am still loving everything I am doing with student staff. It seems like I have new things to praise God for every day, which is so exciting. Satan is just finding ways to attack me by telling me that I am not good enough, that I should be doing more when I have free time, that I am not meeting expectations, and so on. I am learning to recognize those lies and quiet his voice so I can hear the Lord's. Hettie Lue, the woman who started the camp that I work at during the summer (and one of the most incredible women of God that I have ever met) once said, "The only person you should say, 'Shut up!' to is the devil."

For Creative Writing, we were supposed to write our last poem of the semester to turn in this week - after this, we move on to fiction. As is probably typical with most poets, my classmates always seem to have really serious poems or dark poetry or just pessimistic views of the world. My poetry, on the other hand, is always light and generally about nature and weather and wonderful things like that. So, for my last poem, I decided to try to write a bitter, overdramatic poem, and I now feel like a true poet. I generally don't like to share my work, especially since poetry is not what I want to do with my life and I don't think I am very good at it, but I am going to share this one with you because, out of all of the poems I have written so far, I am most proud of this one.

[title still under progress]

Remember last spring
how the weather grew warmer,
sun rays kissed our faces
and enticed green to sprout from the ground?
We should have known it was too early.
Yet we put away our coats,
giving in to the teasing blue skies,
setting our hopes on a long summer.

For a week or two, our naivete
got the best of us
as we thought the frost was gone.
Chilly winds tried to warn us
(maybe we always knew)
but preoccupation with optimism
gave way to ignorant bliss.

Until, one day, winter came back,
the cold spitefully biting our noses.
We retreated back indoors
as newly bloomed flowers
died before reaching full potential.

That's what you did to my heart.



The situation that is based on was definitely NOT that dramatic, but that's what it would be in poem form. :) I feel the need to reemphasize, though, that I am not bitter and that is not typical of what I write or how I feel about the world.

And here's for an awkward ending because I need to go prep for a discipleship appointment this afternoon...

2 comments:

MS said...

Love your poem. I think maybe you could leave the last line out or start your poem with a line (i'm no poet) like: A broken heart reminds me of the spring...I don't know. It's awesome, but that last line is so direct compared to the romantic sorrow of the rest of the poem. Thought you'd like to know ;).

Georgia said...

on thursday nights,i always told my girls to tell the devil to "shut up." it made them laugh/"ooh, suck your thumb!" :)