Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Front Porch Ponderings

Autumn is making her grand entrance into Northwest Arkansas! After a two week visit from rain and thunderstorms, the temperatures have begun to drop and the skies are more frequently hues of gray as opposed to blues. Sweaters and cardigans are beginning to be worn, as well as leggings in place of pants (which I am not a fan of, but I guess to each her own). I am definitely the cardigan-with-a-v-neck-and-jeans type of girl. Every day on my way to school I pass a house that has one tree that is already brilliant orange, and it makes me smile every time. Today, I went on a prayer walk around campus with one of the girls I disciple, and my favorite part of campus every fall is starting to transform into a wonderland.

I am sitting on my front porch enjoying the cool and the quiet - and my earl grey tea. One of the kids across the street who is probably in middle school was practicing the trumpet for awhile, but when he saw me come out he went inside. Probably very shy, haha, but it was a nice serenade as I cooked dinner tonight.

We have a very large but very beautiful spider currently residing on our front porch. She has spun a rather large web that is connected at the roof and then at the bushes in front of our porch. I thought about killing her, but not only is so she large that she might squish funny but she is also kind of fun to have around. I think that spiders are one of the most interesting of God's creatures. How they spin webs for themselves simply amazes me!

There is a lot about God that amazes me. I have come to realize that, right now in my life, my ministry through Campus Crusade is my priority and school has taken a back burner - which has been fine; my semester has not been too difficult. It has been so encouraging to see growth both in community and spiritually in the Bible study of sophomore girls that I lead. One of the girls that I disciple has herself grown so much in the past year, from being a sort of complacent Christian to a girl who is herself now leading a Bible study and praying about discipling someone next semester. I am amazed at the influence God has given me and the opportunities that I have to lead and speak the name of Christ and share what I have learned and how He has worked in my life.

I am currently going through Beth Moore's Esther study, and last week the lesson concerning the "for such a time as this" part of the story seemed to have been put in there exactly for me. Beth wrote:
At some of the hardest times in my life, I have been able to make the more choice out of pure blind-eyed, bent-kneed acceptance that it was somehow part of a greater plan. I was beaten by a conviction that throbbed relentlessly against my strong self-centeredness. As much as my flesh wanted relief, I knew that when all was said and done, I'd sit on that side of glory having much rather fulfilled my calling than served myself all the way to meaninglessness. I had to accept that I was not called to an easy life. I was called to a purposeful life.
My ministry with Crusade has provided that purpose for me in this season of my life, and I am beyond blessed by this purpose.

Last weekend, I went back to Conway to celebrate my home church's pastor's ten year anniversary of being at our church. Part of the service was having those of us that, over the years, have been on missions trips to the Czech Republic with Ken (our pastor) to all come and sit together and at one point stand to show our support of him. This seemed particularly important to me because not only is the Czech somewhere Ken loves but also a place his son Jordan* loved. I was so proud of Ken and so thankful for his ministry with our church, as person after person shared testimonies and talked about what Ken had meant in their lives.



I hope that each of you enjoys fall as it makes its course to where you are. Drink apple cider, carve pumpkins, and slather apple butter on your biscuits** - at least, those are my favorite fall treats. What are some of your favorite fall traditions or foods?***




*Jordan committed suicide this past May, so this anniversary was somewhat bittersweet for his family as he was not there with them.
**I have come to the conclusion that apple butter tastes like fall. That sounds poetic! Perhaps it will make its way into a poem at some point in my creative writing career.
***If you will remember, last year I had a whole week of doing fall-ish activities, in order to prevent fall from "passing me by." My friends laughed and made fun of me, but it was a glorious week and I plan to do it again :)

1 comment:

Georgia said...

the only reason i sometimes wish i went to Fayetteville (other than the fact that you live there) is how GORGEOUS it is in the fall! it bet campus is beautiful!

i enjoy reading up on you and the things God is doing in your life!