Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lost in a story...

I want to live in the world of Anne of Green Gables.

It's a silly fantasy of mine, but I wish that I was a character in a novel. Oftentimes I narrate my own life in my head as it would read if I were a protagonist of a story. I suppose that is the Creative Writing major in me coming out.*

I just get so lost in Anne's story. I love the way L. M. Montgomery writes, first of all. I love her descriptions and her vivid imagery (sorry, analyzing writing style is another result of the Creative Writing major in me). But more than that, I love the depth of her characters. They all have such distinct voices (particularly with Phil, Anne, Aunt Jamesina, etc. in Anne of the Island, which I think is my favorite of the first three).

And I love certain aspects of the time period, such as people constantly quoting poetry and literature when it applies. I wish I had memorized lines to say at the appropriate time. And boys sending flowers to the girls before big events. I know, boys give corsages before prom and homecoming now, but actual flowers are different. Plus I never had a date to any of those things.** I want a boy to send me flowers! Preferably not roses - at least not red ones. I am one of those weird girls that doesn't like traditional red roses.

Sometimes, I think that I am sometimes too sentimental and allow myself too many romantic daydreams. When Anne turned down Gilbert, her best friend Philippa told her, "You don't know love when you see it. You've tricked something out with your imagination that you think love, and you expect the real thing to look like that." That's something that I definitely want to avoid in my life...

But, right now, I am so thankful for my relationship with the Lord. On this past Tuesday, during worship at Cru, I went to the back of the room and just spent time talking to God. It was on my 21 birthday, and I was just realizing that I am not where I thought I would be by 21, especially with relationships. Not in a bad way, just different. Life hasn't gone the way I planned, and I am so thankful for where God has brought me instead of where I thought I wanted to be. People were asking me where I want to be, what I want to do in the next year - and I honestly have no idea. I have thoughts of what I want to happen in my life, but above that I want to be at a point where I am okay with not knowing about my life. God is bringing me there, but every once in awhile I get anxious about what I should do after college or if I am ever going to meet "someone" and whatnot. But I am continually bringing that back to Christ, and it has been awesome to see His faithfulness despite my not knowing.


*And yet I am terrible at writing fiction... maybe because I love cheesy romantic plots?
**Okay, I have been given one corsage... in 10th grade I went to the public school's homecoming with the guy that liked my best friend because she was dating someone else at the time. It was fun, but the whole time I just felt bad for the guy because he had to watch the girl he liked be with someone else. It's okay now, though, because those two broke up and my best friend started dating the guy who was my "date" and they are getting married in December. Hooray for happy endings! Anyway, though, it doesn't really count in my mind.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am so there with you. I connected to Anne Shirley more than any other fictional girl too. In part, I think there were a few similarities. But I think I also just wanted to connect with her. I wanted that same beautiful environment, same best friend, same sweet guy who loved me my whole life. The way LM Montgomery writes is so detailed and lush too. I remember slipping into the world and never wanting to leave. And how awesome was it that you got to grow up with Anne? It really felt like a complete story. I'm so with you on this. And I wouldn't have pegged you for a red roses girl. Red roses seem too cliche for you ;)