Saturday, May 9, 2009

Obsessed

I hadn't even been home for 24 hours before I headed to Hobby Lobby, where I proceeded to buy more fabric. Now, I haven't finished the quilt that I started over spring break... and I also found a bunch of squares I cut out during freshman year spring break to make a basic patchwork blanket; they hadn't made it even to the machine yet. Despite this, I wanted something new. 

A couple of days ago, Marisa and her sister Jenny introduced me to the Soule Mama blog, and ever since then I have been completely obsessed with this woman, despite the fact that she is setting an unattainable example for me. I don't think I could ever be this creative - - or even have this much TIME, much less her abundance of fabric. I do love just looking at all of the things that she has made and sells. I want her book (the new one coming out in August) really bad. 

There's just something about craft projects that makes me excited. As you might gather from above, I have a tendency to start big projects and not finish them, but I am determined to do better with this. I will only have a total of about three weeks at home before I go back to Fayetteville in the fall (due to camp all summer and a trip to Louisiana next week), but my goal is to finish the quilt that I started a couple of months ago and get at least halfway through the one that I was supposed to have started over a year ago (oops). 

So, the first step was to reorganize my sewing supplies: reorganization always makes new projects more fun.

Doesn't my collection of thread look pretty? And yes, I keep everything in a tackle box. It was my grandmother's before she died, and it was passed on to me along with her old school sewing machine that I no longer have. Looking through this box is always an adventure. For instance: 

Why are pipe cleaners supposed to be strong and absorbent? Any ideas? The only thing I have ever used them for is little kid VBS crafts and the candy cane Christmas ornaments. I also found a pattern that my grandma used to make my sister and I little rag dolls. I don't know where that doll is, but I remember watching her cut the fabric and sew it all together, so I am excited to one day make the same doll for my children (YEARS down the road). 

Thursday night, Jenny and I stayed up past midnight sewing headbands. We were basically experimenting, making the pattern up ourselves, and they turned out pretty good! I was trying to think of other ideas, though, and I came across a tutorial that was pretty much another way I pictured doing it, only this idea was more put together. So that's what I sewed today with some of my new fabric!


All of this is making me even more excited to sew stuff for my house next year! I have ideas for curtains, pillows, coasters, blankets... hopefully my roommates won't get sick of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I Can't wait to see all the fun things that you make! You better post them! I'm getting all excited for you. :) I love the material of the white & green headband you made! . . . can't wait to see all your new projects! Take a picture of your new quilt too!
Love you, Marisa

The Uptons said...

such a gift! i love how excited you get about it:)

noel said...

pipe cleaners need to be strong and absorbent so they can clean pipes.

this is my way of telling you... i am a blogger.

love, noel.