Monday, January 19, 2009

Convicted

Well, God sure knows how to get me. All weekend I have needed to plan my Bible study for tonight, and I kept putting it off. I never mind doing it once I am in the middle of it, but it always seems like such a daunting task. We are going through the parables right now, which is really cool because they are very applicable to one's life - that's the point of them, and something that I think is really important for a community group. 

Anyway, I decided to go through Matthew 25 tonight, which contains three passages: the parable of the ten virgins, the parable of the talents, and the metaphor of separating the sheep from the goats. I have a couple of resources that I found to gain insight and question ideas from, and one of them summed the first two up as prepared v. productive, watchful v. working. It commented that, for the parable of the talents, we were told to "Be faithful in using opportunities for service which the Lord has given us." And I started to think about how faithful I was being in the many opportunities God has given me.

I am living in the same dorm as the girls in my community group. I am in somewhat of a teaching position above them. I can speak into their lives. Yet a lot of the time I decide to just whip up something to say at the last minute and I pray for them maybe once a week. But how faithful am I being? Am I doing enough just to get by? Or am I making the most of this opportunity? 

I know that God understands that I have a lot on my plate, but this matter starts in the heart, and my heart has not always been in the right place.

So, when we talk in Bible study about how to apply this to our lives, God has already revealed my weakness to me. Ouch. But I'd rather learn it now than when the master returns!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good study. Are you putting it together yourself, or using a study guide?

Samantha said...

A little bit of both. I came up with the idea and then looked on the internet to find resources to help.