Kindergarten graduation: 1995. We did a play about a garden full of flowers, and I was the only blue flower so I was lonely and sad. However, in the end, the farmer thought I was the prettiest flower and picked me to be used at church on Sunday.
High school graduation: 2007. Out of a class of 14, I was valedictorian and gave a speech. It was really small and personal; I had been with the majority of my class since elementary school, so we were like family. The last couple of months of senior year were rough, though, as far as relationships in the family went, so I was ready to move on to college and transition to that life.
College graduation: 2011. My friends and I decided that we felt like we were playing dress up. That this graduating-college business was not really happening. I felt so grown up in my cap and gown and stole and medal. And it's definitely bittersweet. I am so thankful to be done, and excited to have a job and be living here in Fayetteville. However, many of my friends are leaving. They are all doing exciting things with their lives, like going to law school and teaching in inner-city schools and doing mission work overseas. But there will be a transition to a new normal.


No comments:
Post a Comment