Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Someday, they'll wave to you

Favorite Song of the Moment: "Pretty Dress" by Rosie Thomas. I absolutely love the lines " 'Cause they don't see you like I see you. If they did they'd see that nice little girls grow up to become homecoming queens." Such a beautiful song.

It's Christmas break, and it's strange because I have had something to do almost every day but, at the same time, I feel like I have had nothing to do.

I stayed in Fayetteville until Wednesday the 16th, when I came home for the Youth & Family Christmas Dinner at my church in Conway. The night of the 17th we had a bachelorette party for my best friend from high school, who then got married on the 19th. She and her now-husband started dating her senior, his junior year of high school and are now married in the middle of those same years in college. When they met two years before, though, we all knew they would end up together. It's crazy that they are actually married, though!

Oh, and I caught the bouquet at the wedding. Two other girls ended up on the ground during the process, but you can decide for yourself if that is because of me... And I definitely won't be the next one getting hitched, but I do have a nice pretty bouquet of white roses now :)

One of my favorite things about break is the amount of reading I get to do. Last year, I read all seven of the Chronicles of Narnia books. This year, I just brought home a random mix of reading material. So far, I have finished More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell and Wilderness Skills for Women by Marian Jordan. I have read Wilderness Skills before, but Marian is coming to our campus to speak in February so I wanted to be able to talk about the book with other people. I am currently working on Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Cast of Characters by Max Lucado, and When I Don't Desire God by John Piper. And after those I have a couple more plus hopefully a couple new ones I will get on Christmas.

Yesterday, I went to Little Rock to spend the night with my best friend Noel, and we watched Gone With The Wind. I had never
seen this movie before, though I had heard it was a classic. I had never read the book, either, so I didn't quite know what I was in for. It was a beautifully-made movie, the acting was wonderful, and I enjoyed it a lot... but I hated the ending! I didn't feel like there was any closure! And there was more crying in the four hour time period than I have ever seen before! Maybe my problem is that I just love happy endings, and life isn't always like that, but they could have at least done a "Two Years Later" type of ending! Noel can argue with me about this, and I see her point, but they should have shown it. I did enjoy the movie, but now that I know that it doesn't really end, I probably won't feel the need to spend four hours watching it again.

And now I am shutting the computer to continue reading Wuthering Heights. I know that it is a tragic-type book, and so far I don't like either of the main characters or where the novel has taken them, but I feel like it is a book I need to at least say that I have read. Kind of like the need watch Gone With The Wind at least once - then I am going to spend my time on something with a happy ending.


3 comments:

mary said...

i've decided. it was because of you. lol :) merry christmas sam!

Georgia said...

the first time i saw Gone With the Wind, I said the same thing. It pretty much ruins the whole movie. And everyone dies. However, I think there is a sequel...I've never seen/read it, though.

Unknown said...

a great book to read to truly be able to appreciate happy endings is Cormack McCarthy's The Road. trust me Canadian :)