Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Content

The past week, I have learned a lot/experienced a lot of contentment.

  • Today, I got done with a test early and had my break for lunch, so I had an hour and a half before my next class. I bought a Naked juice and went to the Arsaga's coffee shop in the law library, settled into a comfortable chair next to the window, and read Jane Eyre while rays of sun warmed my arms and the pages of my book. I almost skipped my class to continue reading, simply because I was so happy sitting where I was, but I decided against it. It was funny, though, because my friend Robert was there, too, and we sat across from each other with our feet up on the ottoman, but not one word was spoken the entire time. I was so engrossed in my book! I love being able to read one of my favorite novels as a requirement for a class. It makes homework so much easier.
  • I am doing a study on contentment with the girl who disciples me, and we had some really great Scripture last week that I went over in my quiet time on Tuesday. One of my favorite verses was Psalm 145:16: "You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." It's simply a great picture of God's provision and God's willingness to give us our desires. I am continually reminding myself to go to Him with my desires and let Him fulfill them in His own way.
  • In our study today (same girl), we talked about finding the balance of being content on earth yet at the same time longing for our heavenly home and not being content with the things of the world. We talked about how we shouldn't be content in our relationship with God - we should always want more - and that led up to the thought that we will never fully be content in God. I always think that I should be completely satisfied in Him and want nothing else, but if that was true then I would never want more of Him. He is continually working in my life, so in fact I am going to be discontent. Not that I should be okay with wanting things of the world and not accepting where God has me in my life, but I shouldn't beat myself up when I am struggling with this because I am going to struggle with it! I need God's grace, and He wants me to continually be seeking Him and searching after Him.

So, in a sense, I am both content and uncontent. And that's fine by me.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Arsaga's in the Law Library is my FAV! I can't think of a better way to spend an hour and a half!