Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bouquets of Sharpened Pencils

There's something about the combination of Norah Jones, hot tea, my MacBook, and the rain... something that always makes me want to write, although I don't necessarily have an idea of where it will lead. Inside, first of all, if this sprinkling picks up. It is so sparse, though, it feels more like the squirrels are spitting at me from the trees.

I noticed that the "Back to School" section is out at Wal*Mart. This event can bring feelings of dread or excitement; for me, it is the latter. My little brother calls me crazy, but I cannot help that I love buying pens, highlighters, dividing tabs for binders... Just stick me in Office Depot and I will be happy-as well as broke by the time I leave. Notebooks are my weakness! The purchase of any of them, from the standard 97¢ notebooks to fun journals, brightens my day. One of my favorite high school graduation gifts was a really nice journal with the "gold-tipped" edges (like on a Bible). When I was younger, I had so many notebooks in my room that I had to buy a storage bin just to hold them in. Some I used just for doodling in class or on road trips while others had the start of stories in them (which I sadly never finished). You know in the movie You've Got Mail when Tom Hanks's character talks about sending Meg Ryan a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils? The thought of being given one of those just makes me smile. 

Maybe I'm just a little dorky. My excuse is that I am an English major, and therefore I have the right to love writing utensils and accessories! You are just lucky that I didn't get into my love for bookstores! Ah, Barnes and Noble... why isn't there one in Conway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya! I used to LOVE shopping for school supplies. And your description of the notebook obsession brings back memories as well.